Do you love rich desserts, but hate the calories? Well, here’s one that packs a load of satisfaction while being low on the cals. It’s a make ahead dessert, perfect for special occasions. And if you’re allergic to gluten, as I am, this one is gluten free. Crème Caramel 6 servings 247 calories each 15 minutes prep, 1 hr baking and 5 hrs chilling (6 ¼ hrs total) 15 minutes Total Time: 6 1/4 hours (including 5 hours cooling & chilling)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 8 large eggs
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat or low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12-ounce can nonfat or low-fat evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, gently swirling the pan (do not stir), until the mixture turns
- golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Immediately, pour the caramel carefully into a 9-inch round metal cake pan. If it stiffens before it completely covers the bottom of the pan, warm the pan in the oven, then swirl to cover the bottom.
- Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with a mixer at medium-high speed until soft. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly combined, scraping down the sides. Add condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla; mix until combined. Carefully pour into the prepared pan. (You may hear some cracking; the pan will be very full.)
- Place the cake pan in a larger pan and pour enough hot water around it to come 1 inch up the sides. Bake until golden and set at the edges but still wobbly at the center, about 1 hour. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Transfer the cake pan to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. To serve, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert the flan onto a plate.
Preparation time: 6 hour(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2